
I know I shouldn't dwell on negative things, and my highest priority of late is to stay happy and positive despite different circumstances, but I can't seem to get something out of my head. My mother-in-law told me of some woman at Lowe's who was going on and on talking about how "any soldier who goes to Iraq is stupid." Yeah, obviously a real ignoramous, and normally I wouldn't give a rat's ASS what someone like her thinks of me or my family. But when we're in the midst of sacrificing as a family, and he literally is being shot at and having bombs go off around him, all to try to protect the freedom of people here in our wonderful country...let's just say it's NOT a good time for me to hear about someone judging his choice to serve. REALLY? (think SNL's "Really?" segment). Really??? MY husband's stupid? How 'bout we put your GED next to my husband's Bachelor's and Master's degrees? ARRRGH. Just as Jack Nicolson in "A Few Good Men" says, "I would rather you just said, 'thank you' and went on your way." Well said, Jack. For anyone out there who's got their "doubts" about the intellect or motives of servicemen and their families, I only have this to say: "YOU'RE FREAKIN' WELCOME."
I know this is the cheesiest, but I look at these pictures and miss having him around to help "pull" or "shoulder the load." And honestly, 99% of the time I'm all about doing everything myself. I feel a lot of pride when I accomplish things on my own, and I happen to think I'm the ideal military wife(I never shut up about it). But every once in a while I SO appreciate when some noble, "gentlemanly" guy insists on helping me with something (yeah, I'll rarely ever ASK for help). I have to say a humongous thank you to Grant McCaleb, my friend Kelly's husband, for his help. Not only did he rescue me when I thought I'd locked myself in my house (changing the doorknob), but he's always SO INSISTENT that I tell him anything he can do to help us while Adam's gone. He's a firefighter, and a real soldier at heart, so he understands Adam's need to serve his country and appreciates the sacrifice it is for us. I'm afraid this will sound like a totally mean and bratty, but really--are "real men" an endangered species? I understand men work hard and want to come home and go golfing and play video games and ride four-wheelers, but how's your wife doing with that newborn? How's your widow neighbor doing? You know? Am I taking crazy pills? Maybe I need some prozac or something. I want to thank Grant and every other man/family who has reached out to us to inquire about our needs and offer their help and support--thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Alright, now I'll get off my soap box and be grateful for the wonderful blessings we have.
Like any other family, we're just better when we're all together. We've made the decision to serve and know what it entails...we're willing and feel strongly about it. But can anyone blame me for counting down the days till he comes home? We can't wait.
Sunday, October 7, 2007
Rantings of a Military Wife
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Rant all you want, if I was there I would have probably lashed right back at that women. YUCK!
I wish that people had brains that they used instead of just spouting off things they hear from unsavory sources. I salute you and Adam for doing what you need to to help keep this country safe. I get all misty eyed thinking about Adam over there fighting and pray all the time that he comes home to you and Kennedy safely. I have the utmost respect for him and you. You are made of stronger stuff that most.
Well, I think you MIGHT be taking crazy pills, but that doesn't have anything to do with it.... You are so right. We are counting down the days, too.
Post a Comment