So...these pictures are kinda old. Like from way-back-in-June-old. My amazingly generous Mom decided to fly both my sister Bobbie & her darling son Ashton out here for Bobbie's birthday, & we couldn't wait to have them (& will never forget their visit). It was Ashton's first time going to the beach/seeing the ocean so we made sure to hit every good one we knew about. Here he is seeing the beach for the first time (at Hickam AFB):
He was so hilarious with all his cute poses. Man, we just love this guy.
The kids had so much fun just running around (we're at Hickam sand bar in these next pictures)
I'm all about these action shots.
Poor guy nearly lost his shorts a few times. What a cutie!
The sand bar here stretches on & on, it's so pretty.
It's Schaf's favorite place too since it doesn't have the scary waves.
Here he is checking out a passing plane; he loves airplanes.
They found lots of cool stuff while exploring.
Well, cool to them. ;-)
Here they all are gathered around a new-found treasure (something "icky" if I'm reading Kennedy's expression correctly).
Mom & son walk along the beach together for the first time.
How cool that Hawaii's beautiful beaches are his first to see & experience.
Hopefully he won't be biased to others in the future (I know I will be!)
Aunt Bobbie displaying one of her many talents:
Apple falls right next to the tree!
Aunt Bobbie also enjoyed some "Schaf time."
He's always up for play time with a super-fun aunt!
I just love his face in this one. Fun fun.
We thought Ashton would enjoy the Waikkiki aquarium so we made sure to take them.
Such a comedian.
A nut with charm! What is Bobbie going to do with this guy as he gets older & handsomer?
Kennedy definitely enjoyed his antics & his company...as always!
They've always been such sweet little friends.
Outside with the monk seals.
Checking out some little crabs & working up the courage to hold one.
We happened to be there when they had a fun little class for kids. It was about different types of sand & was really interesting.
Aunt Bobbie treated the kids to souvenir pennies.
Made Kennedy's day.
Another beach we made sure to visit was Haleiwa (I'm pretty sure this one was their favorite because of all the turtles). What a view, right?
Here Bobbie & Ashton are following a turtle.
Schaf enjoyed his time up on the sand with me (again, he's not a big fan of waves which makes my job easier...I'm the perfect beach bum).
Turns out, Ashton likes beaches! ;-)
Can't complain when you have the beach all to yourselves! This is the life.
Another important beach stop: Lanakai. Ever since our wonderful neighbors introduced us to this piece of paradise (almost 2 years ago), it seems to have gotten more & more crowded, but I still think it's the most beautiful of any we've seen on the island. Like a corona commercial.
Trying to get them to pose for some pictures was like pulling teeth at first.
Then they started to warm up...
And the poses were endless!
Silly kiddoes. He tried to teach Kennedy some of his awesome karate moves.
Enough with the pictures Mom, we've got better things to do!
Ocean playtime. Kennedy's absolute, most "favoritest" thing in the whole world.
Aunt Bobbie got to try snorkeling.
Here she is with our beloved old neighbor--Ali.
I went out with Kennedy for a bit too.
Not my most successful snorkeling expedition!
The best part about beachin' it--just chillaxing!
And of course we had to get shave ice at our favorite spot:
Thank goodness for my little babysitter; this little guy is everywhere!
One of our top priority stops when we're up on the north shore is going to Ted's for their insanely delicious chocolate haupia pie and garlic parmesian shrimp. Kennedy & Ashton opted for huge chocolate muffins instead.
They know what they like. I love how they're both missing front teeth in all these pictures; so adorable. They're just growing too fast!!
Posing with our favorite friends & "forever island cousins," Ali & Daniel. They're truly family as well & we'll never have neighbors like them again...sigh. Unless we move to Tyler TX... ;-)
A random guy rode up on his bicycle with a bird...gotta love some of these crazy Hawaiians. I love the kids' expressions in this picture!
After hitting Bubbie's for mochi/ice cream we stopped by Sandy Beach to show them how crazy the waves are there (& how crazy the Hawaiians are who surf there!) You can see Halona blow hole in the background.
I was busy snapping pictures (& didn't want to wander too far from the car where Schaf was sleeping) so I didn't notice the kids creeping closer to the surf...
This is a shot I thought was a "cool one" till I realized they were about to be swallowed up by a whale of a wave:
As you can tell, the experience was very traumatic for them. They had sand in every crevice & got a pretty good scare. So did their moms!!!
Next beach destination: Ko'Olina Resort lagoons:
Ashton gives the swimming here an enthusiastic 'thumbs up.'
Schaf had lots of fun exploring too. This place is great because of the beautiful manicured lawns/landscaping that's right next to the beach.
Oh this face. This boy. My heart.
Aunt Bobbie warmed up the chilly swimmers so I could force them to pose for some pictures.
There are three man-made lagoons & it's so nice to stroll along beach-front walk of the resort.
Two little best friends & cousins; these kids are more than adorable.
One of my first attempts to copy my amazing friend's signature sunset sillohette pictures; I'm afraid I really goofed up in a lot of ways, but my sister was happy to have some memories.
My sister is so gorgeous; always been the prettier, blond version of me (it's always nice when people say they can tell we're sisters!)
Got some of my two sweeties too. I think I'm too far away (& I found out later that we should have been wearing dark colors, oops!).
I really didn't capture it, but the sunset was awesome that evening...the rays shining through the clouds looked like "Jesus was coming" according to Kennedy.
Bob took this one of me & my boy:
I know the lighting's terrible & everything's wrong with this picture (I'm lost without my Kate!) but I think it's so sweet of the two of them.
Having fun with my iphone on the beach. Too bad that one's broken & my new one is always on the fritz! I love the view behind her. This place was actually my Dad & step mom's favorite beach--they even enjoyed snorkeling in one of the lagoons.
This one seems symbolic almost, like they're "climbing through life to get to heaven" (sorry, I'm kinda cheesy). My sister has climbed out of some awful situations & circumstances & I'm so very proud of her. She's a great example to our entire family.
Another one of my favorites.
The two of them are such a sweet pair. I'm just starting to understand how special the bond is between a mother & her son.
Trying to capture the entire view...it's just breathtaking.
I love Bobbie's face in this one; she looks so happy. I'm so glad they got to come here & enjoy Hawaii (thanks again Mom for flying them out!).
Kennedy & Schaf having fun while I take pictures:
On the way back to the car we spotted a scary-looking centipede (they're poisonous here in Hawaii). We stuck to the walkway after that (Bobbie was so funny jumping around scared of everything! It cracked us all up).
Oh yeah, & she got some of me & the kids too:
I really like this one.
It was really important to Bobbie that they go visit the Pearl Harbor memorial. Here's Ashton showing his muscles among all the hero's names.
Bobbie's so sweet & emotional when it comes to others' sacrifices & hardships. She's always been the most compassionate one in our family. It's obvious that she's passed that trait down to Ashton as well.
I think she was trying to get him to pose in a certain way here.
Still managed to make it fun for her son.
She was determined to take a picture of all of these so she could read them all later.
What a cutie. He'd definitely make a great naval officer!
Admiring his new tattoes before we go (they went to the Polynesian Cultural center too, but I don't have any pictures from that).
It was a great visit and I'm so glad we had the chance to have them & enjoy this beautiful island with them. We love you so much Aunt Bobbie & Ashton!

2 comments:
WOW....what some amazing memories. Bobbie is just as beautiful as always. I love all of your pics especially the ones with that incredible sky.....OH WHAT A PHOTOGRAPHERS DREAM!!!! Maybe ONE day I will get to visit!!!
Wow Trace- nice work! We LOVED our vacation and are so thankful for our perfect hosts and awesome accommodations! Seriously, it couldn't have been more perfect, you really outdid yourself and we appreciate all that you all did to make sure we had a great time.It was so good to be with all of you and get to know lit'l Schaf. Our hearts already pine to come back to our favorite people in the world in our new favorite place in the world. If we never make it back, at least we seriously made such wonderful memories, as to last a lifetime, and never be far from recall with all the amazing pictures and that special reserved place in heart for that, our most wonderful trip ever! WE LOVE YA'LL! "Thanks" just isn't enough to express the feelings I have, but will have to do for now :) Thanks for being so generous Trace- you are such an awesome sister and friend. You set such a great example for me in all the roles you take on with ease and gracefully perfect proper action :)- daughter of God, daughter to our parents, sister, mother, wife, friend, neighbor, passerby. At this time of year especially Trace, I think of you often and your generosity and thoughtfulness inspire me to try be more Christlike like my sis. I love you so much. You definately don't need to post this ... never been too good with the words :) xoxo more my thing
Post a Comment