It started out innocently enough; a typical story really. You see, we often put little Schaffer on chairs and couches propped up between cushions, but all the while he's continued growing and gaining mobility. One day last week I get him all set up, and--I thought, safe--but after turning my back I hear a "thud." Horrified, I snatch my scared, upset little man up, and Adam races to in to check on us, and comforts both baby and guilty mother. After Schaffer calms down and we see that he's okay we both have a little laugh about it. Kennedy wasn't home at the time (with a neighbor friend) and when she returned I thought I'd share the story with her. She sat quietly listening and after a long pause asked, "is he still alive?" I'm amused and reassure her, but she erupts into the most dramatic sobbing I've ever seen. She goes to find her brother and won't let him go, kissing and comforting him, "don't think about it buddy" (so cute, she assumes he's totally traumatized).
She didn't seem able to calm down no matter what we said...even during and after her bath she's still "reliving" the tragedy. Poor girl even suggested that she shouldn't go visit friends anymore, and that she "should have been there to hold him!" I like to think I was a pretty good big sister most of the time (oldest girl, "designated babysitter" of the house), but I don't know ANYONE who's got anything on this kid.
She still occasionally gives me a look like she's ready to call "child protective services" on me. Even Schaffer looks like he's almost convinced that I'm an "unfit mother" in this picture! Too funny.

7 comments:
Too funny!! Poor Kennedy...she was worried sick about her baby brother. That is the sweetest thing. Thanks for the sweet comments you left. Only by the grace of God am I anything!! You are way too kind. Yes, Brad started a job 3 days ago. He didn't get on teaching this year, so he started working at the Honda place selling cars. Never would I have thought this would happen, but it will pay the bills. I thank God I have a husband willing to do anything for his family! Your children are precious.....I know you are so proud to be their mommy!! Please keep in touch, I love reading about your life. I am thankful you have been so blessed!!
okay that is too freaking funny, 'is he still alive?' what a cutie! Please do Schaffer's hair in the mow-hawk, he will look great over in Hawaii with it. I think he has enough already, grab some gel a give it a try!
These pictures are GREAT!! And totally hilarious. You could almost tell the story JUST with these pictures!! I love them. BTW-
Brooklyn rolled off (or slid off?) the bed at 5 weeks, and I know that Jett has fallen off something too, I just can't remember specifics. So if you managed to come this far and Schaffer is the 1st baby to roll off something, you're way ahead of the game! Kennedy is too cute, I just love this story.
bahahahaha! I can hardly believe that story (if it weren't for the pictures, I'd probably think you were exaggerating)! I guess you'll think twice before sharing any bad experiences Schaffer has with Kennedy? It's a good thing she doesn't know what terrible falls MY kids have survived!
Oh, Doodlebug! ha ha, sounds like me crying when Corky would get spanked. Trace, Adam, you're doing it right. I just want to SEE YOUR FACES this December! :) Pleeease make it happen!
Love you!
That is one of the cutest, most touching, stories I have heard! I love the "calling CPS" comment. So funny!
This just touched my heart so much--to see how deeply compassionate Kennedy has become (my heart ached for her pain). What an incredible mother you are to help her learn to be so sensitive and caring!! Don't fret too much about the falling--even though I know it's traumatic and you feel terrible at the time--we are all just learning and growing through difficult experiences. Love, Mom
Post a Comment