BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Thursday, April 3, 2008

How DID my Mom do it all?

We had fruit salad the other night with Hawaiian rolls and I got pretty nostalgic... My Mom used to make huge fruit salads served up with different sliced cheeses, and if we were lucky, we got a round loaf of Hawaiian bread to share. The thing is, those were on the nights she took a break from cooking. Her "easy dinner night," is my "we're actually having dinner" night. I remember as a child hearing the loud sound of my Mom's wheat grinder as she made homemade bread; I remember having a huge breakfast with some type of protein, grain, and fruit(s); I remember having homemade lunches (everything all-natural and organic if possible--which I did not appreciate) every singe day; I remember huge dinners with two different colored vegetables that I'd have to sit at the table until I ate; I remember taking a tiny cup full of vitamins along with plain yogurt and brewer's yeast in apple juice (to help us absorb all the nutrients) every single night... My Mom is a legend. We read scriptures every morning, we had Family Home Evening every week. My sisters and I were in every activity imaginable, from ballet, tap, jazz, gymnastics, and clogging--to piano, swim team, and art lessons. My Mom wanted us to have every possible advantage while growing up...oh, did I mention she had seven children??? She's doesn't have little ones to drive all over town to lessons or feed healthy organic meals to anymore, but she's still the same wonderful woman--better even. She's so compassionate to others, and is an eternal optimist. When I find myself being negative, I realize I have no grounds; I just wasn't raised to view the world in a dreary light. I can only be grateful for all the opportunities I had, and all the love I felt growing up. Comparing myself to her isn't an option; I'll never fill her shoes, and she doesn't expect me to. I'm so thankful for the life I've had.




2 comments:

brandy said...

Well,I so remember your mom making fresh bread, I was always so jealous. I can actually remember the smell of your home when she was cooking. Isn't that funny? I have so many good memories at your house and with you. You were possible the main reason I enjoyed my life so much. All the Monty Python movies we would watch. I just want you to know that I have the letters you wrote to me that you would put in my chorus box. I occasionally will pull them out and read them and realize that I really did have special people in my life. My, how the years have flown by. Remember sitting at the piano and you would play and we would harmonize, oh, I would get chills. You are so beautiful and so skinny now and your hair is gorgeous and your precious little girl, what else can you say? I am so glad you found your true love in Adam. I don't know him, but I do appreciate the sacrifices he has made for our country. Keep in touch and I am enjoying reading the blogs.

Amy McKinney said...

I know what you mean about mom's being so good. My mom always had a salad to go with every meal. we always had a fruit drink for Breakfast and our snacks were usually raisins and peanuts. I remeber how excited we would get if we got to have healthy junk food like yogurt covered peanuts. Our mom's really are amazing. But you are so good. I've eaten at your house. You always have such wonderful fresh fruits and veggies. I wish I were more like that. You are great!!!