We live about forty minutes from Tuscon, which happens to be one of the two places in the U.S. where "spring training" for major league baseball is. I'm not the biggest "sports enthusiast," but I've got to admit it's been fun going to games and I'm glad we've had this opportunity while living here. The weather here is perfect, and it just feels very "American" to be out there eating peanuts and drinking lemonade with balls whizzing by your head. The first game we watched was the White Sox vs the Diamondbacks, so we got Kennedy a little Chicago W.S. bat, and an Arizona ball (both pink of course).
Whenever I ask Adam how he turned out so darn good (despite all the junk he grew up around) he gives me a few reasons: joining the church, joining the military, and sports. This guy LOVES sports (dare I say, he "lives for them?"), and he's one of the most competitive people I know...usually in a good way. I wish I weren't so annoyed by the Sportscenter themesong; I know I really should just be grateful for his healthy interest/love. (and geez, how lucky I am that he doesn't sit around playing video games like a dumb 14 year-old?) It's lovely to think that the Lord had his welfare in mind even in the midst of drugs, alcohol, and a string of terrible step-fathers. I'm so glad he had something wholesome to turn to and participate in. I know he'd love it if we had a son for him share his love of sports with some day.
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Daddy's Favorite Sport
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
We are extremely jealous! Spring Training is something we really want to do. Looks like lots of fun! Matt is playing X BOX right now and said to tell you, you hurt his feelings! :) but I am going to defend him, in that he plays like once a month to every other month.... not an addict.
Looks great. I pine for the good old days of getting up Sat morning and going to the Smith Fieldhouse to play some hoops with Adam. Thems the good ole days. You guys are truly great. And Adam, don't worry, you can turn you daughter around. I've gotten Natalie to like watching basketball with me. She's been to a few games as well, though we only lasted to the third quarter.
Post a Comment